Wednesday 22 November 2017

Spectrum.



As the sun travelled across the sky, colours grew prettier. So I went out in the garden to take a few pictures of the oranges and yellows, but then I saw this. All the colours united; gorgeous! It reminds me of something I read about recently: tetrachromacy.

Humans typically have three types of cone cells that each process a different colour channel. Some animals possess two or four types, and thus perceive colour differently. It's thought that some humans have a fourth type of cone cell too, one that responds to colours between red and green, and that these humans may be better at differentiating colours. There's an artist called Concetta Antico whom is said to have tetrachromacy, which helps her with her artwork. The colours of this plant reminded me of one of her paintings that I saw whilst reading about tetrachromacy.

Try to imagine how other people perceive colours, and how someone with tetrachromacy would. Fascinating subject! I kind of wish I perceived the world with more hues too. Perhaps I do, but just don't know it for I've never seen the world through someone else's eyes. I don't think I do have eyes that perceive more colours though, but I may have a mind that appreciates them more than some other people's minds do.

No comments:

Post a Comment